Well, we have finally settled into our home for the next several months. Our "flat" (a.k.a "apartment") is located slightly out of the city centre. The location is very convenient as we can walk to everything including our grocery, church, pubs, clothing stores, football stadium and doctor. Erik is the only one who currently gets to brave driving to work!
Our life in Scotland is very different than in the US. We are getting used to "flat" living again with all the bumps in the night. The kitchen size has also been an adjustment as we have a mini fridge, mini freezer and ...you guessed it... mini oven. Our laundry facilities include a combo washer and dryer unit, conveniently located in the kitchen....and it is small too! It takes approximately 3 hours to do a load of the basics for 2 days of living.
Despite feeling like giants in our new accommodations, we really love our new home and look forward to making it ours. We have already used the kitchen to make a few home cooked meals and look forward to trying new local recipes.....haggis and black pudding anyone? On the sweeter side, we do hope to master the infamous Sticky Toffee Pudding before we return to the states.
As you all prepare your Thanksgiving celebrations with your families, please know that each one of you are in our thoughts and prayers.
Much love,
Marin and Erik
Wednesday, 26 November 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
4 comments:
Sticky Pudding! Awesome stuff.
Spotted Dick is good too.
Hey, the combo washer-dryer thing is nuts. My parents had one of those, also in the kitchen. It took forever, and you can only wash and dry one load at a time. What a crazy system. Can you imagine if you had kids?!
I love that you two have a blog!! Keep us posted on all the excitements of living abroad! And by the way, I tried an immitation haggis... not too bad... but I don't think I could stomach the real thing : )
I've never used a blog before so this is a first. Congrats on the move and have a blast over there while it lasts! I had that washer/drier thing in the UAE but ours was worse than yours. I had to manually wring out the clothes between cycles and fish out the odd sock, underwear etc that got washed over the cylinder into the empty space behind it. Man! What a pain. That was with six of us in the family, 2 cousins that moved in, and the maid. You can imagine the celebration when we finally bought the jumbo sized, fully automatic washer!!! Enjoy it. These days don't last forever and when they're gone you love to relive the "pain" like I just did!!
Trudy
Wow, Scotland! Sounds like you guys are doing well and we look forward to some more blogging from across the pond. Did you know we're expecting #2 around Christmas? Stay tuned to Abby's blog!
Love - Jay, Becky, Abby
Post a Comment